We all know that the main work of the dishwasher is to grind up and flush away the loose food particles left on the plate. But have you heard about the GE dishwasher, it is similar to the dishwasher but it doesn’t do the ground part, so there will be a few food particles remaining on the filter. If you are using an old GE model, here is how to clean the filters.
If any residues accumulate in the GE dishwasher filter, then it should be removed, or else it will contaminate the water or there may be odors released from the residue.
In the old GE dishwasher, the filter does not have any self-cleaning option, and cleaning the filters is considered general maintenance.
If you are having a GE dishwasher filter, then the one thing that you need to do is you should inspect and clean the fine and ultra-fine filters periodically. Depending on the usage, you should clean the filters but if you clean that every one month then it would come for a longer time.
Do you know when to clean a filter? How Do you know that the filters need to be cleaned?
That can easily be found out, if there is a decrease in the wash performance or if the dishes feel gritty then you need to understand that it is time to clean the filters.
GE Dishwasher Filter Cleaning(Step By Step)
When compared to all other cleaning appliances, the cleaning of GE dishwasher may seem easy but you need to know the instructions so that it can be cleaned easily.
Maybe cleaning the outside is a little easy, but cleaning the dishwasher interior is deep and critical. So, you can follow the manual instruction that will let you know how to clean the dishwasher interior;
Step 1: Check if there is any debris in the dishwasher bottom
Use a clean cloth to wipe the bottom of the dishwasher. If there is any debris found in the bottom, then you can remove it using the paper clip or tweezer
Step 2: Remove the filter
The next step is to clean the filter, for that the filter needs to be removed. Based on the type of filter, here are some instructions to follow that will help you to clean the filter
Step 3: Clean the interior
The interior part of the dishwasher can be cleaned by removing all the metal dishes and metal utensils. You need to run the dishwasher in an empty cycle and follow the instruction cycle to easily clean the interior dishwasher.
Maybe you can try vinegar wash as it will completely clean the interior parts and also it will prevent clogging.
Step 4: Remove the minerals
This is the final step in the cleaning of GE dishwasher interior and in most cases; there will build-up of minerals caused by the hard water. Use a dishwasher cleaner to remove the scales and build-up
How To Clean Different Filters On GE Dishwasher
If you haven’t clean the filter properly then you will start getting a bad smell from the dishwasher and also will start seeing the food particles on the dishes after the washing cycle. The cleaning of the GE dishwasher filter doesn’t take more time, as it will take only a few minutes, and also you only need soap and water.
Cleaning the ultra-fine filter:
- The first step in the cleaning of the ultra-fine filter is, you need to remove the bottom rack
- If you want to remove the ultra-fine filter, then you need to twist the filter in the clockwise direction so that it can be easily removed
- Then rinse the filter in warm soapy water and you can use the sponge if you want to remove the stubborn particles. Don’t use any scouring pads or brushes other than the sponge as it will damage the filter
- Once you are done with the cleaning then place the ultra-fine filter and rotate it in the clockwise direction
- While placing the ultra-fine filter, there will be an arrow that is embossed in the filter. You can use that as a guide to align the ultra-fine filter properly and even follow the user manual to a proper understanding of the procedure
Cleaning the fine filter:
- Even for cleaning the fine filter, you need to remove the bottom rack
- There will be two retaining posts which are located on the back and bottom of the dishwasher tub. You need to turn it in the clockwise direction and remove the fine filter
- Wash the filter using the sponge with soapy water that will remove the stubborn soils or calcium deposits caused by the hard water
- Once you are done with the cleaning, then you can place the filter in position. Then twist the two retaining posts by rotating in the clockwise direction to lock them in place. Follow this user manual to make the cleaning process even easier
Removing the dishwasher clogs:
There are many reasons why a filter needs to be cleaned frequently but one of the most common reasons is clogging. If you want to clean the GE dishwasher filter then you need to locate and dispelling the odor-causing clogs.
So, here are the few things that will help you to find the clogs or other blockages easily to minimize the cleaning of filters.
- Run the garbage disposal
If your dishwasher has a garbage disposal, then you need to run it at least 10 to 20 seconds before starting the washing cycle. This step will help you to remove the debris that is clogging the common drain
- Clean the air gap
The air gap is also one of the causes of clogging but it happens only in few cases if you have an air gap near the kitchen faucet. This will collect the debris that results in the clogging, so before starting the washing cycle you need to remove the cap clean the air gap as it will remove the visible debris.
- Flush the drain clogs
The flushing of the drained clogs is the solution if you have a clogged filter. Here you need to mix 2 tbsp of vinegar and 1 tbsp of baking soda and pour it in the drain. Sit the solution for 10 to 15 minutes and then flush it off which will dissolve the clogging. You need to do this step before starting the washing cycle.
Once you are finished cleaning the GE dishwasher filter, then there are certain maintenance tips that you need to follow to prevent clogging of food particles and also to slow down the future developing problems.
- Take some vinegar in two cleaned cups and place them in the center of the bottom rack of the dishwasher. Start running the dishwasher without using the detergents and the dispersal of vinegar will clean the dishwasher from soap scums and food deposits
- Even you can try another option where you need to sprinkle a cup of baking soda at the bottom of the dishwasher. Let it sit overnight, and in the morning start operating the dishwasher in an empty cycle. This will make the interior of the dishwasher to be sanitized and deodorized
If you follow these maintenance tips then you don’t have to wash the GE dishwasher filter frequently and also it will keep the dishwasher operating well.
Additional Cleaning Tips:
Here are the few additional tips that you need to follow if you are planning to clean the GE dishwasher filter;
- Avoid using abrasive scouring pads or harsh cleaners as it will damage the filter. Instead of that, you can prefer the dishwasher cleaning solutions
- Before loading the dishes into the dishwasher you can scrape the dishes but avoid rinsing to remove significant food particles. As the pre-washing of dishes may cause the dishwasher to think that it is already cleaned so it will result in the less optimized cycle
- Sometimes even the temperature of the water can also affect the filters. So, you need to check the temperature, or else the detergent won’t dissolve completely. You can boost the water temperature before starting the dishwasher
- The final step is to load the dishwasher properly sometimes the improper loading may clog the filters
When Does My GE Dishwasher Smell Bad?
Even though you clean the dishwasher frequently, the detergent and the water flush away only the food particles and residue. While the other remnants will stay behind, so you need to know the dishwasher loading tips that will reduce the remaining debris.
In most cases, the dishwasher starts to smell bad if some debris gets trapped in the filter or the creation of clog in the drain areas. As the dishwasher has a warm and moist environment, so it will break down the particles and start developing a mold. And that is the time; you will start getting smells from the dishwasher.
If you are having the GE dishwasher filter that works on a manual basis, then you can follow the above-mentioned guidelines. To follow the specific requirements and procedure, one can follow the user manual