This is because it removes the smell and the fumes that come with cooking.
However, the fan mesh can turn dirty with greasy and sticky stains, which could lead to permanent damage and potential smell and fire.
You cannot stop the extractor fan mesh from turning dirty. However, you can stop a thick layer of the thick grease from building up so that it doesn’t affect the performance of the extractor fan.
And if you keep avoiding cleaning your extractor fan mesh, the fan will become less effective.
But this guide on how to clean an extractor fan mesh will teach you how you can clean your fan mesh to achieve a squeaky clean fan mesh.
Table of Contents
Methods to Clean an Extractor Fan Mesh
Things you will need are;
- Soft Cloth.
- Baking Soda.
- Dishwashing soap.
- Hot Water.
- Brush (Non-abrasive).
- Detach the fan mesh from the hood carefully; Normally, fan mesh should slide out easily without the need to push it out.
- Then fill your sink with hot or even warm water. But hot water is better for dealing with these things.
- Then add a few drops of liquid dishwashing soap and put some little baking soda into the water. Now mix the solution altogether using the non-abrasive brush. However, you must remember that the water you are using is hot.
- Now place the fan mesh into the water. Soak it completely in boiling water and ensure it is covered with water.
- Allow them to soak for 15 minutes.
- After the 15 minutes is over, scrub them using the non-abrasive brush just in case you come across stubborn stains; then, you may need to add more dish soap directly on the area and on the brush.
- Once you are done scrubbing and all the grease and first have been removed, rinse thoroughly with hot water. Afterward, dry the mesh with paper towels or preferably a clean, dry cloth. Then put the fan mesh back into where it was first removed.
Meanwhile, always repeat the cleaning process every 1-2 months to prevent the greasy buildup on the fan mesh.
Things you need for cleaning;
- Liquid dish soap for creating the main cleaning fluid for the filter.
- White vinegar (distilled) will add more cleaning power to the dish soap.
- Baking soda /bicarbonate of soda.
- Soft scrubbing sponge. You can decide to get a metal scrubbing sponge or a soft one that will be gentle on your fan mesh.
- A toothbrush will be able to reach into the areas that the scrubbing sponge cannot reach.
Cleaning an extractor fan mesh can take a bit of time; however, when you follow the right steps, it will result in an easy process for you.
- Place the fan mesh into hot water in a sink and pour some bits of dish soap and a cup of distilled white vinegar.
- Leave the fan mesh in the mixture to soak for as long as possible, maybe for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the fan mesh from the water and sprinkle baking soda on it.
- Then use the scrubbing sponge to scrub around it, right into the nooks and crannies, until all the dirt is gone.
- Clean out any remaining dirt using the toothbrush for corners in the mesh that you cannot reach with a sponge.
- Then finally, rinse and leave it to dry. Then fix it back.
How to prevent extractor Fan Mesh from Dirts
Each time you notice that your extractor fan mesh is dirty and needs to be cleaned, wipe it over using a cloth or paper towel that is after you must have noticed that the fan mesh is completely cooled.
Now the grime dirt on the fan mesh is mostly caused by drying, but you can consider buying a splatter guard.
And because the fan mesh is out of view, some people neglect it.
But once the mesh is constantly remembered and cleaned consistently, then your fan mesh will be in a good state.
Reasons To Keep Extractor Fan Mesh Clean
You can not like to keep dirty material around you because, in the long run, it will have a huge effect on the device.
Here are the reasons why you should keep your extractor fan mesh clean;
- Dirty extractor fan mesh can attract unwanted pests such as flies, cockroaches, and some other times rodents such as; rats. This is a result of the greasy stain.
- When your extractor fan mesh is greasy because it is clogged, it can become a fire hazard.
- The extractor fan will not be effective while working as a result of the greasy stains that are clogged with it.
- The fan mesh, if clogged with grease, can produce unpleasant smells.
In conclusion, cleaning your extractor fan mesh is a basic necessity.
It is something that you must continue to have in mind no matter how busy you may get; you must find a way around cleaning the extractor fan mesh so that the grime stains do not stick to it and become difficult to wash out.
Overall, these processes will guide you into an easy process of having a clean and effective fan mesh.